Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bambi On Ice

Caitlyn has a friend that plays basketball on a local league. They started playing basketball the first week in January. We heard two weeks ago that they were still looking for players and Cait's friend had asked her if she wanted to play. We decided it would be a good experience for Cait since she has never played on a team, but wants to learn to play more sports. I took Caitlyn to her first practice last week and.....IT WAS TORTURE!....FOR ME!. Poor Cait, you could tell her head was spinning. I felt like I had thrown her into the lions pit. Oh I wish she was more confident and would just go for it! Get aggressive! Get up in their space!, but no, she just jogged back and forth across the court with her eyes as big as saucers, trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Torturing me even more with the occasional "what have you done to me mom?" glance across the court. In the middle of practice, the coach blows the whistle, stops the game completely so that the entire gym is attentive as she yells to me, "Hey mom, rent Hoosiers" to which I brilliantly reply "Huh!" I could feel my face flushing crimson as she repeats, "Rent Hoosiers....the basketball movie." Oh, of course, what idiot doesn't get Hoosiers on the first try at a basketball game. Pretty sure that was one of those times that Caitlyn would have liked to pretend that we weren't related. After that, I begged Aaron to please take her to basketball from now on, but with him working 10 hour days, I quickly realized we are both just going to have to suck it up. We are stuck together in this mess. Thankfully "our" second practice on Monday went a little better. Caitlyn seemed a little more at ease after we spent Saturday as the park practicing. Tonight is the teams first real game and I can't wait to see what comes of it. Please let this experience turn into a Cinderella story! Note to self: Start Cody and Chance in sports as soon as possible!

1 comment:

skbakdi said...

OMG! I am so happy for Cait! This will break her out of her shell! : )